Tuesday, December 19, 2006





Dark Ridge: by LL Rucker, ISBN;1589614607 Available by order at: http://www.bn.com/,


http://www.amazon.com/, and at the PageFree Publishing website at: http://www.pagefreepublishing.com/


I put these links, and a picture of my latest book up here because I need your help. Well, that's not strictly true. I'm not the one who needs the help, at least not this time, all though I think this idea will benefit me as much as it does others.


Yesterday I watched the Oprah show and Bono was on there, as was Alicia Keys and Kanye West. Everyone who has ever heard of Bono knows that he is passionate about the AIDS pandemic in Africa, as we all, as human beings should be.


The AIDS virus has reached terrifying proportions in Africa and the number of infected is staggering.


Sub Sahara Africa bears the brunt of the AIDS epidemic with almost three quarters of the deaths from Aids in 2006 happening there, and nearly two thirds of those living there are infected with the AIDS virus.


UN AIDS sources report that there are over 39.5 million people now living with AIDS. Sources report that there were 4.3 million new HIV cases reported this year (2006) with 2.6 million of these new cases reported in Sub Saharan Africa.


In 2006 alone some 2.9 million died of AIDS related illnesses. 2.9 million people. That is the population of a moderate sized city. Imagination an entire city the size of Chicago wiped out in a single year.


The numbers are absolutely staggering, but even more frightening is the number of newly infected people. Women are becoming more at risk now because of unprotected sex . Men who use prostitutes, or have sex with other men, then go home to their wives and pass the deadly disease on to them.


Rape in the war torn countries in Africa have caused widespread AIDS among younger women and girls and even younger boys and men.


Below is a graff which shows the numbers we, as a world community are dealing with.


As you can plainly see, the numbers are staggering, but in Africa it has become very close to extinction level in it's spreading.

So, we have to help. We have to do something to try and stop the spread of this deadly disease.

With that in mind, I am trying to create a relief fund called, W.H.A.T. that will not only help those infected with this deadly disease, but also promote literacy as well, not to mention bring the talents of some wonderful writers to the attention of the world.

I am trying to form a group of writers to help me with this battle. I want to get as many self-published, or small press authors together, and offer portions of our royalties to the AIDS relief fund, either through Bono's Debt AIDS Trade Africa, or DATA, and/or through Oprah's Angel Network to keep a child with AIDS alive. The name of this group of dedicated authors is: W.H.A.T. which stands for: Writers Helping with AIDS Treatment.

Not many people actually know how much money an unknown author actually makes off their books.

In my case, I make $1.27 off of every book I sell. Not a huge amount by any stretch of the imagination. But, I don't write for the money, so much as for the story. However, this time, with this book, Dark Ridge, I AM doing it for the money.

My goal is to sell 100,000 copies of my book worldwide and I pledge fifty cents, approximately 40% from every copy sold to the AIDS Africa fund. That comes out to roughly $50,000.00 for medicine to keep children infected with AIDS in Africa alive.

I will instruct my publisher to cut a check for Bono's DATA or Oprah's Angel Network for that fifty cents per copy sold every quarter for a full year. That is my pledge to do my part to help keep the children, the mothers, of Africa alive and to provide as many of them with the necessary medicine as that fifty thousand dollars will supply.

Okay, so now I need your help. If you are a reader, please, go to one of the above websites and order DARK RIDGE. If you are a writer, self published or small press published and you want to extend a helping hand by contributing a portion of your royalties for a full year to this cause, please contact me at: writersforaidsrelief@yahoo.com

Please help. May your life be free of this deadly disease, and remember, but for the grace of your God, go you.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have sold zip. My finances are better than stand up comedy. I have zero money and zero coming in. That is the negative. I am a writer. I've written today and in the past that it will take organized writing to change the world and this is one issue that must be addressed. I don't know when I'll get the newsletter started, but there will be a section dedicated to how writers can help. If we don't spread the word, the virus and ills of the world spread. We as writers are the vaccine. Let's give it a shot.

Joyce Anthony said...

Linda: Wonderful idea. Storm will be ready and available no later than February--and I will also pledge a portion of the sales!!! Joyce

theauthormike said...

Linda, thank you so much for what you are doing here. The biggest things that Africa needs is drugs, food and information on what is causing this and how we can stop it from going any further. Also, to believe that we have thing under control in this country is insane. People think that the meds that I and others take is a cure but it is not and the side effects of the medications can be worse than the disease. Mikey

Jeni said...

Great idea, Linda! Really tremendous move and effort on your part. I can't order any thing at this point in time, hopefully by January or February, I'll have a few extra buckaroos to invest in a book.

You are so right in that this is something that needs all the attention it can get too! One of these days I won't be dead-busted in the old pocketbook, love books and they also make terrific gifts too!

Laura M. Crawford said...

Linda, as soon as I publish something that will make any royalties, you can count me in on this. As soon as I can get some real money rolling into this household, I will make a donation, Promise! I applaud your courage and passion in this cause and I hope we can all do something, no matter how small to make a difference. Laura :)

Vicki M. Taylor said...

Linda, you show impressive fortitude for taking on such a daunting task. I applaud you and your drive. Thank you so much for taking on this cause.

Ambrose Musiyiwa said...

This is a brilliant idea, Linda. Count me in. Let me know what I can do to help.

Anonymous said...

Great they (Oprah and celebs) are helping so much with the fight against AIDS, they have the power to do it!

I try to help (limited low budget) as much as I can with support & info websites (like http://www.aidschat.org for live chat support), currently over 10,000 registered members.